Stephen S. Imrie FCIP, FRM, PMP
- Over 30 years experience in the Property & Casualty, Life & Accident & Sickness Insurance Industry.
- Insurance Underwriter, Retail Broker/Agent, Marketing coordinator, Business Relations, Insurance Executive, Risk Manager, Small Business Owner.
- Employed by Insurance Companies; Retail Brokerage employee; Insurance Brokerage Owner/Principal; Managing General Agent(s), Insurance & Risk Management Consulting.
- Experience with most classes of business including most Personal lines, Commercial Lines, Accident & Sickness coverage.
- Written business across Canada from British Columbia to Prince Edward Island.
- Integrated a “front end” paperless environment through document management and operational workflows processes.
- Rationalized the product mix including risk tolerance and target business segments resulting in greater customer focus and corporate profitability.
- Consolidation of over 600 commercial and personal wordings, coverages and endorsements to a manageable inventory allowing for greater risk management, claims settlement, underwriting standards and practice and product development and growth.
- Technical lead on our corporate and regulatory audit and control function and developed “best practices” for the company, providing a positive learning environment for continuous improvement annually.
Imrie Risk Management Solutions Ltd. May 2014 – Present
• CEO, Senior Risk Management Consultant
Frank Cowan Company Limited Feb 2010 – May 2014
- Vice President – Underwriting
- Responsible for the profitable growth and development of Property, Casualty and Automobile business as the
- underwriting lead for a Specialty Managing General Agent working on behalf of preferred Insurers. Major Segments
- include Municipal, Hospital, Education, Health Care and Community Service business.
Catlin Canada Inc.
- Territory Underwriting Manager – South Western Ontario July 2009 – Feb 2010
- Development and growth of the Property & Casualty lines of business by establishing key broker
- relationships and profitable risk selection, underwriting and genuine personal service. Creating and
- executing on strategic business and marketing plans while working in tandem with other key managers and
- executives in Canada and globally, to form part of the management underwriting team.
Imrie Risk Management Solutions Ltd. Dec 2008 – July 2009
- Specialized risk management and insurance advisory and consulting firm, offering services to corporate clients.
- Our purpose is to help our clients manage their corporate and operational risks more knowledgeably and cost effectively,
- by providing them with technical advice on risk analysis and risk management issues.
Gore Mutual Insurance Company. Cambridge ON 2000 – Dec 2008
- Underwriting Director – Risk Management & Support
- Expanded mandate to manage and drive the Personal & Commercial business units ensuring adequate
- profitability and premium targets are achieved and that effective and efficient Underwriting, Risk Management,
- Audit & Regulatory protocols are in place and utilized.
- Underwriting Director – Commercial Lines 2000 – 2004
- Initial mandate was to assess the Commercial Lines business model and develop and execute a strategy to reestablish the company as a market leader for small to medium enterprise business.
Dominion of Canada General Insurance Company. Toronto ON 1997- 2000
• Commercial Underwriting Manager
The Insurance Managers & Financial Services Ltd. Woodstock, Tillsonburg, Norwich & Delhi 1995 – 1997
• Insurance Broker, Founding President
Imrie & Associate Insurance Brokers Ltd. Tillsonburg ON 1989 – 1997
• Insurance Broker Owner, Entrepreneur
Jamieson-Hilts Insurance Brokers Ltd. Woodstock ON 1986 – 1989
• Insurance Broker, Marketing Co-ordinator
Guardian Insurance Company of Canada London ON 1982 – 1986
• Commercial Underwriter
- Insurance Institute of America / CPCU Completed 33 % of the Program to date – In Progress
- Chartered Insurance Institute / ACII Completion of final course for ACII in Fall
- 2014 – In Progress
- Project Management Professional (PMP) Project Management Institute 2005
- (Enrolled) International MBA – Heriot-Watt University Edinburgh Business School (Scotland) 2005
- Fellowship – Underwriting Major (Continuing Education) Insurance Institute of Canada 2003
- Master Manager Certification Program Wilfrid Laurier School of Business 2000
- Fellowship – Risk Management (FRM) Institute of Risk Management 1999
- Fellowship – Risk Management Major (Continuing Education) – Insurance Institute of Canada 1997
- Canadian Risk Manager (CRM) Institute of Risk Management 1997
- Teaching Techniques Certificate Insurance Institute of Canada 1993
- Fellowship – Management Major (FIIC, FCIP) Insurance Institute of Canada 1986 to 1989
- Canadian Chartered Insurance Broker (CCIB) Insurance Brokers Association of Canada – 1988 to 1989
- Canadian Accredited Insurance Broker (CAIB) Insurance Brokers Association of Canada – 1987 to 1989
- Associateship (AIIC) Insurance Institute of Canada 1982 to 1985
- Fanshawe College Business Administration – Finance 1980 to 1982
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS & MEMBERSHIPS
- Registered Insurance Brokers Association of Ontario (Designated Individual) 2013 to 2014
- Honorable Order of the Blue Goose International (Ontario Pond) 2013 to 2014
- Property Casualty Underwriters Club / PCUC 2005 to Present
- Project Management Institute / PMI 2003
- Insurance Institute of Canada (Board Member of Governors) 2005 to 2007
- Institute of Risk Management 1997 to Present
- Superintendent of Insurance (Life Agent including Accident & Sickness) 1989 to 2003
- Insurance Institute of Ontario 1982 to Present
- Insurance Brokers Association of Ontario 1986 to 1997
- Registered Insurance Brokers Association of Ontario (Designated Individual) 1989 to 1997
- Greater Kitchener-Waterloo Chamber of Commerce 2014 to Present
- New Dundee Park Improvement Program – Co-Chair Fundraising 2009 to 2011
- Insurance Institute of Ontario (Conestoga Chapter) – President 2005 to 2007
- Rotary Club of Tillsonburg – President 1993 to 1994
- Canada Trust Friends of Environment – Founding President, Tillsonburg, ON 1992 to 1993